At The End of Cycle One
Well done, you reached the end of the first cycle! If you reached the goal you set, you may be asking yourself what to do next:
- If you believe you need to reach a lower score before you are done, what will be your target for Cycle Two?
- If you reached a comfortable place of moderate use and don’t have a different target for the next Cycle, work is still not done. You need to stay with the target number of Xs that represents stable use for you, and you should certainly continue to continue to develop your Resources in this maintenance phase.
- If you are not using at all, then continue to develop and deepen your Resources, they are your insurance plan against returning to drinking/drug use. Here’s how the thinking goes: a rich and rewarding life is your best inoculation against a wild and crazy one.
- If you brought your score down, but didn’t reach your target, that’s called success, because you exerted greater control in your life. The question now is what for you is a realistic target for Cycle Two?
What If You Don’t Reach Your Goal?
As I said at the start, the Toolkit will not work for everybody, and if it doesn’t work for you it will be for one of three reasons:
- You didn’t fully apply the Toolkit
- You applied the Toolkit, and with some coaching and support, you could be successful next time
- Your substance use is too compulsive and emotionally-based for the Toolkit to work for you. It’s just not strong enough medicine.
Here are some of your options:
- Do the Toolkit again, and this time be more diligent about writing down your X scores and working on your Resources.
- Do the Toolkit again, this time bringing in the added Resource of SLS Positive Change Coaching.
- Give up on the Toolkit and seek out the stronger medicine of psychotherapy or some other emotional healing modality.
- Find a traditional detox/rehab or traditional outpatient drug/alcohol program. Sometimes it’s just the ticket.